Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice
Our vision is a world where nature and people thrive. Diversity, equity, inclusion and justice are central to achieving our conservation mission and we are committed to co-creating a culture that is equitable and a workplace that is diverse, inclusive and safe for all staff, partners, donors, and volunteers.
We must acknowledge that our organization is a representation of our larger society, which has historically privileged many as well as equally disenfranchised and marginalized others. As a learning organization, we are embracing courageous conversations about diversity, equity, inclusion and justice within our organization, the conservation movement and beyond.
As staff and board members, we commit to taking the following actions as we develop our organizational roadmap:
- Cultivating an organization that reflects the diversity across Canada, including the communities where we work.
- Fostering an inclusive organization where all staff and board members feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued, and everyone’s voice is heard.
- Centring equity in our work by seeking fair treatment and creating access to opportunities for advancement through training, mentoring and other means of growth.
- Upholding justice by acknowledging missteps when they occur and righting relations through fair process.
- Advancing the reconciliation of relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in Canada by seeking to understand past wrongs and co-create new pathways to sustainable conservation and social justice.
- Developing goals and measuring progress to ensure accountability to these commitments.